Friday, July 29, 2005

Breaking Rule #4: Always use the lightmeter

Now this one should be a little easier as I tend to shoot in Av mode about 75% of the time, but then the rest is usually in fully manual mode. I always shoot macro in full manual. I haven't ever done any High Key work so thats my first target.

The first is a fern frond over exposed by 3 full stops plus the EX 550 flash set to +2. I'm quite impressed with the result. I set up my small cardboard box, the one I used for three in one macro and lined it with white paper.


The second image is the top of a stalk of heather pushed through the paper.

4 Comments:

Blogger Neil said...

Very good experiment--with a good result. I really like the high key first one. My own experiments didn't work as well (I better get to publishing some of these!)

11:04 pm  
Blogger ursula said...

Love the fern shot. You used a flash and +3 full F-stops? Wow.

What is that about the cardboard box lined with white paper? Sounds like something worth trying.

10:54 pm  
Blogger Falc said...

Hi Ursula, yes I tend to so quite a few of my shots inside my cardboard studio ;-)

Its a small bpx, maybe 9x12 inches, just wide enough to slide down pieces of coloured paper/card ro form reflectors and backdrops.

The nice thing about this is its real easy to punch a hole here and there to hold sticks/stems etc. - and when I've punched too many holes I'll throw it out and get another one ;-)

For the fern shot even with +3 stops it wasn't losing much definition, so I boosted the flash settings too. Its the first high key experiments I've done, and you can bet there will be more.

Thanks for the comments.

Keith

11:04 pm  
Blogger glad2badad said...

...and the beat goes on! I'm learning more from what others are learning. Guess that's the way it's supposed to work - eh? ;^)

I hadn't had much luck with the exposure rule breaking but I was trying them all outdoors in natural settings. Didn't dawn on me to try a studio type setup.

Not enough time in the day anymore with all these new things to try! What to do, what to do...

4:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home