Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Breaking Rule #1: Hold your Camera Steady

OK so, we all know that camera shake is to be avoided. We buy Image Stabalised lenses, huge heavy tripods, beanbags, monopods, cable releases, we lock up the mirror before shooting. Well the first task FP has us do is to forget all that and actively try moving the camera ..... OK here goes ....

So out into the garden armed with the Canon 10D and a 100mm lens. I chose the 100mm to give me a closer view than a 35/50 standard lens. I took about 100 images this morning before breakfast and here are my 3 favourites.


The first is of some Thistles, taken at f32, 0.6 seconds and with a circular motion. I quite like the 'fireworks' impression.


The second is a Choisyia Ternata 'Sundance', a nice bright yellow shrub. The image was taken using f32 at 0.8 seconds and using a wave motion. It reminds me of fish scales.

The third and my favourite really made me think of waves and water. Its actually some grass taken again at f32 and about half a second but this time with a simple horizontal motion. Because the image reminded me so much of 'Flowing Water' I put it into Photoshop and adjusted the colour temperature to have a blue cast to reinforce the feeling of water.

3 Comments:

Blogger Neil said...

Great work. I like them all, but the second stands out as the best. On to the next rule..

5:12 pm  
Blogger dahkota said...

These are really beautiful. Now I gotta get out there. Least I am inspired now!

9:32 pm  
Blogger glad2badad said...

All of these are great! The second and third I like the most. I really need to try this. Abstract isn't really an interest for me, but you may have changed my mind. ;^)

3:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home